There are some apologies from public figures that I desired and expected, perhaps stupidly. I am glad that I didn’t hold my breath waiting on them or else I would have choked from the lack of air.
It doesn’t matter why you did it, you did it – apologize
It doesn’t matter when you did it, you did it- apologize
It doesn’t matter that it’s been a while since the infraction – it’s never too late to…apologize
It might go a little something like this.
(From the politicians):
- I apologize for letting you down,
- I apologize for betraying your trust,
- I apologize for tarnishing my image,
- I apologize for my lack of integrity. I asked for your votes and your contributions, publicly but I have not been public with saying “I’m sorry,” what I did was wrong.
(From the speaker/pundit/ambassador)
- I apologize for phoning it in, not preparing remarks (even though I was paid a hefty fee for my appearance), speaking off-the-cut (and not well), rambling to an expectant audience who deserved my respectful preparation (you should have a list of points you make when you make appearances at the very least)
- I apologize for losing my vaulted place, which has left a void years after I lost it
(From the billionaire and the preacher)
- I apologize for being shady, undignified and illicit and unlawful
- I should have done better
These words or some variation of them would mean a lot to me, a member of your public who voted for you, donated to your cause/your campaign, who came to your presentation and bought your book, who looked up to you, and who expected more of you. It would be a beginning step to help restore your image to this someone who’d held you in such high esteem.
I know it is hard to say, “I’m sorry,” face-to-face. There are other ways so can do it:
- You could issue the apology in an ad (but that would cost and you don’t manage money very well or so it seems from your behavior)
- You could apologize for free in a social media post
- You could apologize in a letter to the editor
- You could apologize at the public gatherings where you still hold forth.
- You should apologize even if our community forgives so easily.
It’s never too late to apologize but, we… at least I won’t hold my breath.
If you liked this post, you might also like: